Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's all in the cheese: Mac and Cheese

I decided that I wanted to make mac and cheese for a a family BBQ for my Father-in-law's birthday. So I looked at a ton of different recipes from friends and on the internet. There are a range of ways to make mac and cheese and I finally decided to take a little something from all the recipes I found and created my own. I am glad I did, everyone seemed to love it. I used 4 different cheeses because I love cheese, especially sharp cheese. You can really use any type you like.


Rumbly Tumbly Mac and Cheese




INGREDIENTS
1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Paprika
Garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 X 13 casserole.

Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the elbow macaroni and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7-8 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Add flour, whisking often until smooth bubbly. Gradually add half and half and cream cheese. Continue cooking on medium heat until sauce is thickened and cream cheese is melted. Add seasonings. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. Add half of the mixed cheese s to the sauce and stir until melted.

Stir sauce into the macaroni. Then add the other half of the shredded cheeses and mix until well combined. Transfer to the buttered casserole.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Mrs. Pie said...

That looks like heaven!