Monday, August 18, 2008

1934 Hershey Chocolate cupcakes

My father in law got a Hershey's cookbook with recipes from 1934 and I promised him that I would make something from the book.



We had a family BBQ last weekend and I decided this was a great time to try a recipe from the cookbook. Cupcakes sounded yummy and I found a pink mint frosting recipe to go along with it. The chocolate cupcake itself was quite yummy, however, I think the frosting was a little too minty and took away from the cupcake rather than compliment it. So that was a little disappointing. I will have to give it another try with a different frosting recipe.

Chocolate Town Syrup Cupcakes
From: Hershey's 1934 Cookbook



1/2 cupful butter
1 cupful granulated sugar
1 teaspoonful vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/4 cupful flour (all-purpose)
3/4 teaspoonful baking soda
1 1/2 cupfuls (1-pound can) Hershey's Chocolate Flavored Syrup

Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour and baking soda, and add alternately with the chocolate syrup to the creamed mixture. Pour the batter into paper-line muffin cups, filling each 1/2 full. Bake in a moderated oven (375 degrees) for 20 to 25 minutes.
Yield: About 30 cupcakes.

Mint Buttercream Frosting
From:Big Oven

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar sifted
1/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon all natural peppermint extract

1. beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl.
2. add 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract, beat until combined.
3. add more powdered sugar as needed to get piping consistency.

Notes:
  • I halved the recipe and used 3 cups of powdered sugar for a thicker consistency.
  • I think I might have put a little too much mint extract by accident.
  • I added red food coloring to make it pink.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Wow! What a great cookbook to make something from. Seriously, that is probably a valuable collector's item!

JustJyve said...

JUST finished making a batch, and sure to make it again. Thanks for satisfying my chocolate fix!